Assets & infrastructure

Locomotive turntable

Built in 1912, the turntable is 17.8m long and can be operated by hand or with air.

To operate by hand, there is a handle at one end of the turntable which in cranked.
To operate by air, there is a hose that is connected to the brake pipe of a locomotive.
This mechanism was installed in 1957. How the turntable was operated before this time is uncertain.

Locomotive turntable at the Warwick Railway Precinct.
Locomotive turntable at the Warwick Railway Precinct.

1970s photo of the demolished Warwick Locomotive Depot.
1970s photo of the demolished Warwick Locomotive Depot.

The sandstone featured in the turntable retaining walls came from Yangan Quarry which was ownered by the Brewer family. It is the only known turntable with sandstone construction.

Apart from the inspection pits and ash-pit, the turntable is also all that remains of the original Warwick locomotive depot which was demolished in the 1970s.

When SDSR moved to the Warwick Railway Precinct in 1995, the turntable was in a very bad state of repair and lot of work needed to be done to it to bring it back to it's former glory.

top of page
 

Vital statistics

Built: 1912
Capacity: Approx 110 t.
Width: 17.8 m
Gauge: 1,065 mm gauge (3ft 6in)



 

Copyright SDSR © 2017 - Site credits - Members corner