Assets & infrastructure

Cottonvale Station buildings

Cotton Vale Station - March 2006
Cottonvale Station - March 2006

Cottonvale railway station was built in 1917 and was located 28 miles (45km) south of Warwick on the railway between Warwick and Stanthorpe.

The station was named after Edward Cotton, a local orchardist who had also been employed at one time as a railway fettler and a lengthsman. It is notable that his name is recorded on both the Warwick and Stanthorpe War Memorials but his final resting place is unkown.

Cotton Vale Station - June 1925
Cottonvale Station - June 1925

Cottonvale became a junction to the Amiens Branch line in 1920. The branch was officially opened by HRH the Prince (Duke) of Wales on 26 July 1920. The photo above shows a building to the far right which was especially erected for the Duke in case he required a toilet stop. However it was never used and thereafter it was nicknamed the 'Duke's Dyke'.

The Amiens Branch line closed in 1974 and in 1996 Cottonvale station itself closed. The station building and goods shed was transported to the Warwick Railway Precinct in February 1999 and is now used as a library and museum.

top of page
 

pointer iconVital statistics

Opened: 1917
Closed: 1996
Original location: Southern Line
(Amiens Branch junction)



 

Copyright SDSR © 2017 - Site credits - Members corner